To offer you the best service possible, Dr. Schär Institute uses cookies. By using our services, you agree to the use of cookies. I agree

Healthcare professional Resource for Gluten Related Disorders.

Dr. Schär Institute

Wheat Starch in Gluten Free Foods

Extracting wheat starch from wheat flour for use in gluten free foods may still be pretty new to celiacs and others on the gluten free diet in the U.S. It is, however, a technique commonly used by gluten free manufacturers in Europe. Adding wheat starch to gluten free foods allows for enhanced texture and flavor profile that can only be achieved when wheat starch is added.
This may be a controversial topic for people with celiac and gluten sensitivity, as they’ve been taught to avoid wheat like a plague. However, there’s a method to this madness. More specifically, it’s a science-based method that is commonly used by food scientist. Using chemical properties of protein (including gluten) and starch in wheat flour, food scientist are able to separate the two. This is achieved by mixing the wheat-based dough with water. Starch is water soluble. Protein isn’t, so it sinks to the bottom. Then, the starch solution can be drained off and dried.
Dr. Schär uses this technique for one and one product only, Schär croissants. We are the only manufacturer of gluten free croissants, because it’s not an easy task to make a gluten free croissant that tastes like its mainstream counterpart. Dr. Schär’s goal has always been to make gluten free foods that taste just like conventional foods. This is why we’ve decided to use wheat starch to achieve the flakiness so typical of a croissant. 

Dr. Schär originally started in Italy in the 80’s. We have an extensive experience with this manufacturing technique so commonly used by other gluten free producers in Europe. We test all our products for gluten from raw ingredients, through the entire manufacturing process, to the final product and packaging. The same strict testing guidelines are applied to our croissants. 95% of Schär products test under 5 ppm, whereas the remaining 5% test between 5-10 ppm. This is significantly lower than the FDA labeling regulation for gluten free foods (<20 ppm). Please note wheat starch is not safe for people with wheat allergy. 

For more information about our croissants—plain and hazelnut, please visit